Monday, August 11, 2014

Toddlers & Soup

I enjoy making different kinds of homemade soups and stews. With Fall right around the corner I already find myself making them more often. But when it comes to feeding my twin toddlers soups and stews it can get quite messy. I do not enjoy messy all that much. So, I have a new system now and I thought I would share.

From Scratch Chicken Noodle Soup


It's all about the butts. Bread butts that is. Often times, when I make soups, I make a loaf of bread to go along with it. Sometimes it's cheater loaves (frozen and baked), sometimes it's homemade bread and other times it is just butts from the loaf of bread in the cabinet. Any way you slice it, save those butts for the toddlers if you can.



Cheater loaf of White Bread


Ladle the soup, stew, chili or what have you onto a bread butt (or thick slice of bread). The broth will soak right into the bread and the noodles, veggies and meats will all be on top. This is a very easy way to get the little ones to eat their soups. Much less mess and no need to make them an alternative dinner...in case that's what you do. Hee hee. My boys like this kind of meal very much.






Hope you have found this tip useful! Have a Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Aw shucks. Thank you so much Kristin! I will stop by and check it out later this week. I really appreciate the nomination. <3 I have a crazy busy day of cooking for a friend's family in need of homecooked meals. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the only way I could give my kids soup when they were younger. We did it slightly differently. I would ladle 1 ladle full of soup at a time into a shallow bowl and give my kids a thick piece of bread that they could sop up the liquid with. When the liquid was all gone they could work on the veggies or whatever was left in the bowl depending on the kind of soup we made.
    I'd love to hear your recipes for the soup & the bread.

    ReplyDelete