Sunday, August 3, 2014

Fresh Salsa Recipe

Mexican food and I are BFFs. I can't get enough and the more authentic, the better. I probably cook something Latin themed once a week; be it tacos, nachos, enchilada lasagna or what have you. Tortilla chips and salsa have been a staple in my home for at least twelve years. My second job, as a teen ages ago, was at a local Mexican restaurante that is no longer with us, Chi-Chi's. Not authentic really, more Tex-Mex style, but that doesn't bother me. I am an equal opportunity enjoyer of foods originating South of the border.

So, let's talk salsa. We were going through a ton of salsa, buying it every time I went to the grocery store. My husband and I decided to try making our own and it turned out delicious. We never buy jarred anymore. If there is a jar of salsa in my home, someone else brought it over. The homemade stuff is just too good, has no preservatives and we feel is slightly more cost effective. We took what we knew about salsas and combined it with with my experience from watching salsa being prepped at Chi-Chi's and this is what we came up with.




Fresh Salsa Recipe

Ingredients:

1   10 - 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
3 - 4   Roma tomatoes (or tomatoes of your choice)
1 - 2   medium onion(s)...We usually have yellow onions around but white or red would be tasty               too.
1/3 - 1/2   of a bunch of green onion
1/4 cup   chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 - 1/2 cup   sliced jalapenos, depending on how spicy you like your salsa (I used jarred jalapenos                       but you could use fresh ones, making sure to remove the stem, seeds and veins.)
1 Tbsp.   sea salt
2 Tbsp.   minced garlic

1. Pour the can of diced tomatoes into the blender.

2. Quarter the tomatoes and onions and add them to the blender along with all of the other fresh ingredients. I layer mine just a little.

3. Add the jalapenos, garlic and salt.

4. Blending speed will be up to you. Some people like their salsa chunkier and some like it soupier (That's a word, right?) I personally prefer mine a little chunkier so I use the pulse blending feature in order to have more control. I watch to make sure the veggies are getting pulled down into the blades. If they are not, I take the pitcher off the motor and give it a couple good shakes to mix the liquid and the veggies better and then pulse blend again until it is the consistency I like.

5. Now dip a chip in it and see what you think. Mmm. Good, huh?


That is basically it. I pour mine directly into an airtight container. You can keep this salsa in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Although, you may not have any left by then. (Insert wink here.)

You may have noticed something about my recipes, which are a new addition to my blog. To me, cooking is playing. I understand that when you are baking something it is important to stick to specific amounts of ingredients, like baking soda and such because some of those ingredients have very specific jobs or cause needed reactions that are imperative to having a cake, or what have you, turn out just right. When you are cooking, there is much more room for playing or improvisation. This is where cooking gets fun!

I won't always give you strict guidelines and amounts for ingredients. Only you will now if your family loves more cheese or more sauce or less green peppers. Cooking doesn't have to be hard. Recipes aren't the end all or be all of the food world. Get into the kitchen and play. You might just be pleasantly surprised at what you can come up with. And if it doesn't turn out any good...order a pizza and try again tomorrow ;-)

Love, hugs and other good stuff.






2 comments:

  1. This one is a keeper! I have a recipe for salsa sauce too, but your's looks more appetizing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Awesome. I hope you like it. Feel free to swing back and let me know how it turns out. I actually made two batches today for a party and it was all eaten up. Love it when that happens!

      Delete