Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"It's a Major Award!"

I won a Versatile Blogger Award! And it looks nothing like this...


Image from: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/now-showing-a-lot-of-leg-lamp/

It looks a little more like this...

Ooh La La!

The Versatile Blogger Award is not actually a tangible thing. In fact, I had no clue what it was and had to research it myself before I could get ready for this post. I am still kind of a rookie at this whole blogging thing and am learning as I go. I was nominated by a fellow mommy blogger back on May 18th, the wonderful miss Charlotte Walker who owns the blog Charlie Beth's My Life as Mumma Walker. She notified me by commenting on a previous post I had written called Who's the Parent?!. The reason that I took so long to accept the award and nominate my own favorites is because, again, I had no idea what it was and, second, didn't know of eight other blogs that I followed or liked enough to nominate. Now that I have had some time, I am ready. So, thank you so very much Charlie. I really appreciate this and am truly flattered.

So, here are the 5 Officially Unofficial Rules of the Versatile Blogger Award:

1. Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their site.

2. Share 8 random facts about yourself.

3. Add a picture of the Versatile Blogger Award to your blog post.

4. Nominate 8 fellow bloggers that you've recently discovered or follow regularly and include a link to their site.

5. Let them know that you have nominated them.

Here are the 8 random facts about myself...Hmm...this will be hard...some things that I haven't already blabbed about on my blog...well:

1. I am hopelessly addicted and in love with all things related to the book series Harry Potter. I think that J.K. Rowling is a super writing genius and I can not wait to get my hands on and read her new book, The Casual Vacancy, and it is in no way involved with the Harry Potter series.

2. I wanted to become a Registered Nurse but I had to drop out of college. Actually, "had to" is not the right words. I could have continued with college but I barely qualified for any financial aid, would have had to take out many loans and never see my 2 oldest sons because I had to work full time weekdays and would have had to be in class weeknights and weekends. I could not bring myself to sacrifice that time with them. I do not regret this decision.

3. If a teeny tiny rambler house did not cost a million dollars or so, I would move to Key West Florida and live happily ever after. Writing, deep sea fishing, drinking mojitos, eating conch fritters, maybe waiting tables and making barefoot sandals to sell at Sunset, sitting at the bar listening to live music at Sloppy Joe's, eating dinner at El Siboney at least once a week. Wouldn't that be the life? Am I right, Dad?

4. I have never travelled further west than New Mexico. My hubby and I decided just yesterday that if we can get our hands on 2 tickets to go and see Pearl Jam in Seattle this December, then we are going to plan a long weekend vacation away, just the 2 of us. Fingers crossed! We could so use a getaway.

5. I hate video games. I have never liked them. I understand that many people do like them and I am fine with that. They just aren't for me. But...I just got my first "smart" phone and tried out a couple cute little app games the other day...now I am hooked on Restaurant Story! Good grief! I'm actually playing right now.

6. It is a pipe dream of mine to own my own little diner in my small town. I started writing out the menu one night, just for fun.

7. Having children stole away my will to do dangerous and adrenaline pumping things. Before kids, I wanted to bungee jump and skydive and all that jazz. Now, I can't bring myself to do it. I can't even fly over a body of water anymore without suffering a mini meltdown in my mind.

8. My favorite food in the whole wide world is an old family recipe that my father makes. We call it "Round Steak", although this in no way describes it, but it is AMAZING and DELICIOUS and NOSTALGIC. We always serve it with white minute rice, pan gravy and the best coleslaw ever. Mmm!

Whew! That was a chore to pull out of my brain. But fun. 

And now for the nominees! Here are 8 blogs that I have found, love and read regularly: 

8. Me & The Mexican by Tara at www.meandthemexican.blogspot.com. This blog is interesting to me because my older sons' father is from Mexico and we had our differences and struggles with culture issues way back when we were together. Tara has some great insights. She says they are "Making two cultures work in one casa." This is very nice to see.

7. A Day in the Life of a Super Mom by Jessica Scott at www.jessicaslife81.blogspot.com. Jessica does a good job of being real and true. She says that "It takes a Super Mom to raise Super Kids", which is super true. I also love how she describes herself: "Mom of 4, stick-shift driving extraordinaire, can read a novel in 4 hours, ambitious and driven, can change a diaper in 2.5 seconds." It's like she's the girl next door.

6. Absolutely Kathy by Kathy at www.absolutelykathy.blogspot.com. This woman has some great ideas for kids. Crafts that are so simple and very creative. Her site is lovely and her little daughter's name is Virginia...which I swear had no bearing on my nomination. Ha!

5. Mommy Talk UNCENSORED by Melissa at www.mommytalkuncensored.com. One of her recent post titles explains her blog perfectly: Juggling Like a Clown on Crack: Balancing Career, Life, and a toddler. This woman says all of those things that we are ALL thinking but just don't have the cojones to say aloud. She even hosts guest mom bloggers that have to let off a little steam. Good stuff!

4. Pin With Me a While by Sarah Clark at www.pinwithmeawhile.com. I do not completely understand Pinterest yet, but Sarah does. If you need kid friendly ideas, fun recipes and holiday inspiration, this is where you should go. Her site is so clean and organized. The photos are beautiful. I love her blog.

3. Pink Dryer Lint by Robin Kramer at www.pinkdryerlint.com. The name is what got my attention the first time but the content is what keeps bringing me back. Robin is very good with words. She is easy to read no matter the topic: family and child humor, practical ideas around the home, life and so on. She writes like your wise and witty sister.

2. The Beautiful Mommy Blog by Stephanie B. at www.blog.beautifulmommyclub.com. Stephanie has taken her blog to a whole nother level. For those that wish, there is actually an online beautiful mommy community, complete with discussion forums and the works. Among the usual mommy blog topics, Stephanie also shares her journey through raising a child with Craniosynostosis and the challenges as a mother and family that go hand in hand with this. She is strong and inspiring. 

1. Forever Five Blog by Mommy Frazzle at www.foreverfiveblog.com. This is my new favorite blog to read. She writes about real life situations you just can't make up and I find myself laughing out loud in the living room often, the kiddos turning to look at me to see why. She also hosts a monthly book giveaway which is very worth looking into. I actually won one last month. She has 3 children, 2 of which are twins, so I can relate to her very well. Reading her stories is like sitting across the table, out for cocktails with your best girlfriend, giggling until you have to pee. Love this one!

So, there! I hope you get time to check out some or all of the blogs I like. Thank you again Charlie and congratulations to the next group of awesome bloggers. Keep the words flowing. I'll keep on reading you. Peace!

* Please take a moment to click on the TopMommyBlog button to the left side of your screen and vote for me! Thanks.






5 comments:

  1. Ginny, thank you so much for nominating me for this award! I appreciate your kind words, and I'm delighted to hear that you've enjoyed PDL.

    All the best to you with your blogging pursuits, and congrats on being named as an award-winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your award! You're an awesome blogger and according to you "eight things about you", we sound like we have a lot in common! Thanks for nominating me and for the awesome things you had to say about me. :) You made my day! Congrats again!

    ~Jessica Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Ginny! You are an amazing writer! You made me sound so good...how did you do that?! A nomination and write up like this will give me perma-grin all MONTH! It's great to be connected to you as a twin mom, a blogger and as someone I look up to. I have a lot to learn from someone as established as you are. Thanks for the funny FB comments, blog comments and of course, the nomination. I look forward to many future shenanigans with you!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ginny! Congrats on the award and thank you so much for nominating me!!!!! I really appreciate it. I love learning about you! I see we have some things in common. I also went back to college after having my son but dropped out due to working full time and going to night classes..... I NEVER got to see my baby! Also, I've lost a lot of my adrenaline after having a child! Wouldn't trade him for the world though. I'm so glad to have found your blog. Can't wait to learn even more about you. Thanks again for the nomination! Abrazos!

    ReplyDelete